The severity of the Problem in the United States in 2021
- ● 3.9 million child maltreatment referral reports.
- ● Child abuse reports involved 7.1 million children.
- ● 90.6% of victims are maltreated by one or both parents.
- ● Only 3.1 million children received prevention & post-response services.
- ● 124,360 children received foster care services.
- ● 470,297 victims (74.9%) are neglected.
- ● 101,961 victims (17.5%) are physically abused.
- ● 57,963 victims (9.3%) are sexually abused.
- ● 39,652 victims (6.1%) are psychologically maltreated.
- ● Highest rate of child abuse in children under age one (25.1 per 1,000).
- ● Annual estimate: 1,750 children died from abuse and neglect in 2021.
- ● Five children die every day from child abuse.
- ● Sixty-Eight (67.8%) percent of all child fatalities were younger than 3 years old.
- ● 80.6% of child fatalities involve at least one parent.
- ● Of the children who died, 73.7% suffered child neglect.
- ● Of the children who died, 42.6% suffered physical abuse either exclusively or in combination with another maltreatment type.
- ● 46.4% of children who die from child abuse are under one year.
- ● Boys had a higher child fatality rate than girls (2.99 boys & 2.05 girls per 100,000)
- ● Almost 58,000 children are sexually abused.
- ● For 2021, 35 states report 953 unique victims of sex trafficking.
- ● For victims of the sex trafficking maltreatment type, the majority (88.6%) are female and 10.9 percent are male.
- ● It is estimated that between 50-60% of maltreatment fatalities are not recorded on death certificates.
- ● Child abuse crosses all socioeconomic and educational levels, religions, and ethnic and cultural groups.
- ● 14% of all men in prison and 36% of women in prison in the USA were abused as children, about twice the frequency seen in the general population.
- ● Children who experience child abuse and neglect are approximately 9 times more likely to become involved in criminal activity.