Guardians For New Futures, Inc. (GFNF) is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that supports the unfunded needs of abused and neglected children while increasing awareness with regard to the number of children who are maltreated. GFNF works to educate the community on how to recognize and report maltreatment to protect a child from further harm, as well as, educate those working closely with children on other issues impacting children.
To support the unfunded needs of abused and neglected children while increasing community awareness and education to further protect children.
Community Collaboration and Education
GFNF has become an educational advocacy and community catalyst for maltreated children. Since 2008, GFNF has made great strides in educating the community regarding issues impacting our youth while working in collaboration with community stakeholders.
The innovative and collaborative approach to raise awareness culminated into an annual Treasure Coast GFNF Child Summit starting in 2011. These two (2) day child focused conferences feature presentations by professionals from multiple disciplines educating our community on the latest issues impacting children and strategies to further protect them from harm. Topics are the result of collaboration with a multitude of individuals and organizations including law enforcement, educators, judiciary, mental health professionals, addiction professionals and more. Join our e-mail list to stay informed.
GFNF has been able to offer the summits at no cost to attendees, thanks to our partnerships with Indian River State College, Tykes and Teens, Palm Beach Behavioral Health and Wellness, Hibiscus Children's Center, Martin Health System, SandyPines, Sunshine Health,
Southeast Florida Behavioral Health Network and DevereuxCBC. We are also honored to have the support and participation of the Sheriff's Offices of St. Lucie, Indian River, Okeechobee and Martin Counties.
These endeavors continue to grow and expand in both delivery and attendance.
Community Engagement and Outreach
GFNF has been an active member in many child focused organizations and committees including: 19th Judicial Circuit Model Dependency Court Improvement; Treasure Coast Human Trafficking Coalition; Healthy Saint Lucie; Foster Care Supports; Victims' Rights Coalition; Injury Prevention Taskforce; Roundtable of St. Lucie County's Drug Free St. Lucie and Child Welfare Network; and many more.
Revenue and In-kind Contributions
Since 2008, GFNF has generated almost $800,000 in revenue and over $1.2 million of in-kind contributions to benefit maltreated children.
- Treasure Coast GFNF Child Summit– Starting in 2011, this two (2) day child-focused conference is offered annually. Presentations are by professionals from multiple disciplines educating our community on the latest issues impacting children and strategies to further protect them from harm. Topics are the result of collaboration with a multitude of individuals and organizations within the community. Join our e-mail list to stay informed.
- Sanctuary4Kids – An emergency shelter for children who are removed from their homes due to abuse and neglect. Frequently, when a child is coming into care they need a temporary "home" until the best placement can be found for them. Sanctuary4kids is that soft landing for children while these important decisions are being made. GFNF built and furnished the house in a little over 12 months. Sanctuary4kids was gifted to Hibiscus Children's Center in 2017 for operation. Read More
- GFNF Holiday Gift Drive – GFNF's Holiday Gift Drive provides holiday gifts to children throughout Okeechobee and the Treasure Coast who are victims of maltreatment. The program has provided more than 5,000 children in the community with holiday gifts thanks to the generosity of community members. The program has been managed via e-mail for the last two years. The elimination of printing and postal costs has generated even more value directly to the children.
- Partnership with Hope’s Closet 4 Children – GFNF's partnership with Hope's Closet 4 Children collects and distributes new and gently used clothing to children in need. This partnership has helped to serve thousands of children.
- Child victims of exploitation due to human trafficking – GFNF provides emergency kits as needed for the children which include blankets, personal hygiene products, water, snacks, etc. for their immediate use.
- Children’s Rooms in Courthouses – created a children's library and media room in Okeechobee Courthouse and provided reading materials and art supplies in St. Lucie County (dependency) Courtrooms. These all help to provide the children with a safe and enjoyable environment while waiting for their cases to be heard in court.
- Drug Abuse Awareness Symposia – partnered with stakeholders in the community to effectively restrict the impact of the drug abuse pandemic and its far-reaching effects through common awareness, communication and networking within community.
- Kits4Kids – provided over 2,000 maltreated children with backpacks and school supplies.
- Guardian ad Litem Program – 1) created and funded a Media & Training Center to enhance and facilitate volunteers' training and professionalism, 2) Raised over $50,000 to update and replace outdated computers, software and related equipment.
Guardians For New Futures continues to partner with leaders in the community and participate in projects to improve and expand upon the organization's initiatives to address and respond to important issues facing children throughout the Treasure Coast and Okeechobee.